July-August 2014 Issue
On the Cover:
S. clone 5f orbicularis var. purpurea, Best African violet in Show, AVSA 2014
Best Species, Exhibited by: Sandy Skalski
Photo credit: Winston J. Goretsky
Our current issue of the African Violet Magazine contains interesting articles for African violet enthusiasts every-where. Take a look at many of the Nashville show plants, candid photos of show attendees, plus several new varieties in this colorful issue. Also, don’t miss these informative articles:
* Maureen Pratt’s helpful “Get the Word Out! Tips for Publicizing Your Show” on page 38.
* Neil Lipson explains and actually shows us how to … “Transporting Plants to a Show: The Glue-a-Pot Method”. Don’t miss this! Page 48
* Read a complete list of “Violet Pickin’ in Nashville” show winners on page 30 and see a full page of showroom photos on page 37.
* Pat & Jack Wilson discuss “Internet and eBay Shopping Etiquette” so everyone can have happy experiences with on-line shopping. Page 52
* And get a jump-start for next year’s 69th AVSA convention, “Violets Love Jazz, Blues, and Barbecue” in Kansas City, Missouri. The dates are: May 24- – 31, 2015. Mark your calendar now!
This website contains an online index of the African Violet Magazine with Authors, Titles & Subjects. The following link takes you to a page where you can list the contents, alphabetically for any year back to 1947. All past issues of the African Violet Magazine are in our database.
- Online African Violet Magazine Index for all issues back to 1947
- Online African Violet Magazine Listing of Photographs for recent issues
Best of The African Violet Magazine (AVM)
Every year the best articles published in the previous year of the AVM are announced. Selection is done by voting for the top 5 of the year. Below is a sample of some of the articles that have been garnered "Best of AVM". Content has been graciously provided by Sue Hoffmann and the Pubs Committee. All articles are in PDF format.
- Location, Location, Location by Paul Kroll - Sept/Oct 2012
- Don't Lose Your Crown by Pat Hancock - MarApr 2012 Pg 11
- Recognizing and Correcting Light Problems by Amy Cash Allison Jan/Feb 2012 Pg 38
- Underwater Flower Arrangements by Edna Rourke - May/June 2012 Pg 42
- Preventing Virus July 2011
- Tidbits for the Novice African Violet Grower May 2011
- Problem Solving by Barb Pershing Jan/Feb 2001 Pg 18
- Going Home by Linda Golubski Jan/Feb 2001 Pg 21
- Grooming and Judging Trailers by Velma Lewis Nov-Dec, 2000 pg 50
- Ten Basic Principles in Growing Show Plants by Mary Stallings Nov-Dec, 2000 pg 48
These are just a sampling of articles you'll find when you receive the African Violet Magazine as a member of AVSA. (All articles are in PDF format)
20 or 27 Physan or Phyton
African Violet Culture - Basic Care
African Violet Terms
AV Judging - Beginner
Basics of Flower Arrangements
Best of Show-Ultimate Experience
Different Methods of Watering
Diseases of African Violets
Flower & Leaf Types
How To Repot to Bury a Neck or Rescue a Violet from Root Rot
Keep It Simple
pH - Does it Really Matter?
pH, Rx For Healthy Plants
Secrets to Blooming
Start A Club
Wicking African Violets